If you’re curious as to how you can turn old ties into a one of a kind skirt, that your friends will all be jealous of, simply continue reading to discover a step by step guide to making a stunning tie skirt.
How to make a tie skirt:
1. Visit your local thrift store in order to source enough silk ties to create your tie skirt
It’s well worth visiting your local thrift store in order to get your hands on enough silk ties to create your skirt if in doubt try to purchase a pile of silk ties.
2. Fold each of your ties in half, before cutting each of your ties in half
This step is crucial in ensuring that all of your pieces of material are roughly the same size. If you find that your pieces of silk aren’t the same length, simply use a ruler to trim each piece so that it is the same uniform length, so that your skirt’s hem will be uniform in length.
3. Make sure to iron each tie before you start sewing ties together
Once you’ve cut your tie pieces make sure to iron each piece so that it lies flat and straight and is easier to sew to other ties.
4. Sew the front of a tie onto the back of a tie
Just keep in mind that the front of the tie, which you sew on the back of the tie you’re working with doesn’t have to match, although it can if you’d like. The beauty in crafting your own skirt is that you’ll be able to design a skirt which you love and which suits your own uniques preferences.
5. Keep repeating step 3 so that you start to sew all of your tie pieces together
Repeat step 3 over and over until all of your tie pieces have been successfully sewn together.
6. Measure your waist in order to create a waistband which is tailor-made for your body
Next, use a measuring tape to accurately measure your waist, so that you’ll be able to measure out a piece of elastic, which you’ll then be able to cut. Next, sew each end of your elastic together to form an elastic waistband.
7. Pin your elastic waistband one inch down from the top of your ties
Simply use a few pins to pin your new elastic waistband to the top of your ties, making sure to leave a one-inch gap between the top of your tie skirt and the position of your elastic waistband. As you don’t want your elastic waistband to show.
8. Now, sew your elastic waistband to your makeshift tie skirt
Now is the time to use your sewing machine to sew your elastic waistband onto your makeshift silk tie skirt.
9. Sew up the side of your new skirt
Lastly, sew up the side of your new stretchy silk tie skirt and voila you now have a ready to wear, one of a kind, DIY tie skirt.
So if you love wearing one of a kind pieces of fashion and enjoy fun DIY projects, it’s well worth trying out this simple sewing project!
Leave a Reply